Return to Recipes Lavender Recipes
Sharon Shipley’s Chocolate Lavender Brownies
(Taken from the Lavender Cookbook)
- 3 tsp dried culinary lavender (we have increased this from 1 tsp and it is delicious!)
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp instant coffee powder
- 3 sticks unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Time To Cook1 hour
ServesMakes 24 brownies
- 1.Pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- 2.Place the lavender in a spice grinder with 1 tbsp of the sugar. Pulse until the lavender is finely ground.
- 3.Transfer to a large bowl and add the flour, cocoa, salt, coffee powder and the remaining sugar and mix well.
- 4.Place the butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave, covered on high for 1 minute until melted. Let cool for a few minutes.
- 5.Whisk in the eggs and vanilla.
- 6.Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the butter mixture. Using a wooden spoon, mix until just combined. Stir in the nuts if using.
- 7.Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Finally....Bake for 35 – 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean.